Saturday, October 20, 2007

Spelunking at the Ape Caves




Ape Caves Update
Oh MY GOODNESS!!!! I DID IT!!!!




We are in the off season, so there were no guides and no lights.

I don't think I have ever been so wet and tired! It has been pouring buckets here in Washington. The middle of the cave was running water in a lot of places. It might as well have been raining inside the cave. It was so- not what I was expecting! I thought that once I was in the cave I would be dry. Not so! I was soaked to the bone!

There was a group of boy scouts going in before us and they all had hard hats on. I was a bit nervous, not knowing what to expect. It probably wouldn't have been a bad idea to have a hard hat on. I ended up slamming my head into an outcropping and practically knocked myself out.

I don't know if any of you remember that I have a bad hip and could hardly walk last year. I can't believe I actually made it through! It was hard, but a lot of fun too.

The ladies I went with were real "outdoorsey" types and were going at a very quick pace. I have short legs, so I was always behind. They would wait for me, but as soon as I caught up they would go on the move again! I didn't get to stop and take a breather for the whole time, except when they stopped a few seconds when I almost knocked myself out! Huff Puff!

There was this one rock wall you had to climb. It was 8-10 feet straight up with only one foothold. Of course the foothold was on my bad hip side. By the time I got my foot up there, there was no way that I could go any further! My legs were just plain jello! Two of the ladies had to grab my hands, while another tried to push my foot up and they yanked me up the wall. Whew!! What would I have done without them?

It totally reminded me of the struggles that we go through in our lives. Sometimes we just don't have the strength to make one more step. That's when our wonderful brothers and sisters come to our rescue with prayer support to help us make it through our dark tunnels and into the light.

I'm exhausted. I think I will call it a night!

No comments: