Friday, September 19, 2008

I lost my temper in public last night!

We went to our country fair yesterday. Since the kids have Cystic Fibrosis, they get tired very quickly. A day at the fair is a long twelve hour affair, so we always bring their wheelchairs.

We had stopped in one of the buildings to eat our dinner. I was going around the corner to put something in the trash, and my son was following behind me in the wheelchair. This lady who works at the fair laid into my son telling him he shouldn't be playing on a wheelchair when he didn't need it! I was standing right behind her when she said it and I stepped in front of my son and her and said, "Excuse me, you have no right to tell my son whether he should or should not be in a wheelchair."

She stomped off yelling, "It is my duty by the State of Washington to report incidents like this!" She then went off into the restroom.

I was standing there with my mouth open and my insides starting to boil. I shook my head and was going back to the rest of my family when she comes out of the bathroom and yells at me, "You should be thankful that I am here and I said something!"

Ok, mama bear mode came to the top. I went to her and said, "Excuse me, but it is none of your business whether my son needs a wheelchair or not."

She said, "I work with handicapped children, and he is obviously not handicapped!"

I lost it. I said, "How dare you tell me that my child shouldn't be in a wheelchair. All diseases are not visible to the eye! My children are dying from Cystic Fibrosis. Don't you tell me that just because their limbs are not deformed that they don't need a wheel chair! Who is your supervisor? I would like to speak to them!"

She said, "I don't have a supervisor. I'm out of here."

At this point, I walked away. I was soooo hot! Furious! How dare she? DD had to use the restroom, so she and I took a long walk to another restroom far away.

In the meantime, my dh tracked down the ladies supervisor and had a word with her. The supervisor agreed that it was inappropriate behavior. She would make sure she got "sensitivity" training.


Some people!
Grrrrr.....

No comments: