Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Random Acts of Kindness...

It's amazing what 20 cents can do. We went to a field trip yesterday to the Children's Hands on Museum. My kids are getting a bit old for it, but we talked some dear friends of ours into coming along, so either way, it would be a fun trip.

I don't know about you, but I hardly ever carry cash. I especially don't carry change. Before we left, I knew that the parking was metered by these special meter boxes that only took coins. So, I glanced at my change purse and quickly counted out $1.50.

When we got to our destination I parked and pushed the buttons for the meter. I had asked for parking in the amount of $1.50. Unfortunately, I found I actually only had $1.35. The meter would not give change. It also stated that even if I canceled the transaction, I would lose the $1.35 I already put in. I only had pennies left in my purse, which of course, the machine wouldn't take. I started asking the kids if they had fifteen cents. They of course didn't.

Then, a perfect stranger walking by said, "I do." She then proceeded to dig through her coin purse and give me twenty cents. She saved the day! My kids were able to have their fun afternoon with their friends.

I know that doesn't seem like much, but we really don't get out that much. The kids were so looking forward to this. They got their school work done quickly and efficiently. They hadn't had a "play date" with their close friends FOREVER. This ladies' random act of kindness, while didn't cost her but twenty cents, made our day and made a memory that will last a lifetime.

It makes me want to pass it on! How about you?

No comments: